June 2012

Friday, April 30, 2010

Accomplishments

Since becoming a mother the word accomplishment means something new almost every day. Sometimes I have accomplished a lot when I am showered and ready for the day before noon or even at all. Some days Reed has accomplished a lot if he listens to me and does not have to go to time out. Sometimes Eve has accomplished a lot if she can stay awake when she is supposed to. It always means something new!

The hard part of accomplishments as a mom is that there is not always a great finished product at the end of the day - like a cool project you finish at work. There is not always appreciation for the accomplishments of that day. But, I know, in the end, they really are great and important things.

One of my huge accomplishments (I know this is silly) is being able to get Reed and Eve's finger nails and toe nails cut! I never realized how wiggly little kids can be until I tried to clip the nails. Reed used to be horrible at staying still while I was cutting which made me nervous because I didn't want to clip his skin. He has actually gotten much better at staying still. Eve just wants to put everything in her mouth! So, she is constantly pulling my hand to her mouth as I am trying to clip her nails. But, I did succeed 2 days ago! I clipped all sets of nails in under 10 minutes. HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT! Hopefully, every time (since it is very frequently) will be that quick.

7 comments:

heather said...

I think cutting fingernails/toenails is a huge accomplishment! It's such a pain to do. But have no fear, the older they get, the less they wiggle! :)

mama donk aubri jo said...

that really is big, I am the worst, and I always say I will do it when they are asleep so it is easier but never remember until I see the dirty little things. Seriously Rylan has Dirty fingernails and toenails, how I don't know since he is immobile. But I agree on your whole post, somedays anything is a huge accomplishment! :)

shauntelle said...

i gave up the clipping, john's in charge of that now (he wants me to rephrase and say he is, always has been in charge of the clipping). i felt it only makes sense since i never actually clip my own finger nails.

Megan said...

I just noticed that Nathan has started biting his nails (probably because I don't get to them soon enough.)aaackkk! Have you seen Justin's nails? I don't want to be responisible for that! They are soo gross (and look painful). Hopefully I can curb Nathan's addiction before it gets too bad. . . see, getting the fingernails clipped is a huge accomplishment!

Anonymous said...

So true! I had a day, when Ryan was a little younger, Justin came home and I cheered to him saying, "I got the dishes done today-wahoo!" That was all I had done that day, besides keep everybody alive. Nails are no fun! way to go on 10 minutes! woo!

Elisha Jones said...

You hit it on the head, accomplishment and cutting the nails. I've already cut Harrison in the early stages, so it's extra nerve racking now. Amen to getting ready before noon! Who knew that'd be so hard?

Jensen Family said...

Amen Sister! I hate that feeling though...cause I go to bed swearing to myself that I actually was very busy, just nothing looks different!