June 2012

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Eve goes to the ER

January 28th was a fairly normal Saturday for busy season. We all got up, I jogged on the treadmill, then Tyson went to work for the day. I played with the kids and we tried to keep ourselves busy.

In the afternoon, we cleaned most of the house. Reed and Eve helped me with their room and the bathroom. Of course, they helped with the mirrors, toilet, and counter. Eve was helping me with the mirror above the sink, so was sitting on the little counter. When she was done, I picked her up with both hands and put her on the ground (No, I did not drop her). Immediately, she fell to the floor. I went into a semi-panic mode.

She had not fallen. Check. It had been a while since she had eaten, so I put her against the wall and gave her almonds and water. Sitting against the wall she acted normal, so I thought she was fine. However, she refused to walk! She had eaten. Check. She did not have a fever. Check. I moved her to the couch and just waited it out a little bit. She was still acting normal, as long as she was sitting. No visible bruises, swelling. Check.

A while later I made her stand up and she could do it, but fell towards me after a couple of seconds. She went back on the couch. I checked on my pediatrician's website, called Tyson, called my parents, and then called the doctor on-call. She recommended taking her to the emergency room. Unfortunately, it was a Saturday, so we couldn't just go in to the doctor's office. I was pretty nervous since Eve is not prone to injuries and seems to have a high tolerance for pain (she burned her finger and never told me it hurt, she scrapes knees and doesn't complain).

We decided to go to the ER and things went well. Before leaving, my dad had come to watch the other kids. We bribed Eve to walk to Grandpa for some Hershey's kisses. She did it, limping the whole time. So, we went to the ER with some favorite books and Scout (the dog) in tow. Eve was pretty hilarious and very much 2 at the ER. When we got into the room, she would not say a word to the doctor, nurse, or anyone else. She kept her head forward and zoned everyone out. She completely ignored anything going on around her and just stared straight ahead. Eve, who is miss bubbly, funny, and lively little girl was so still and quiet. She did not cry, did not smile, and seemed to be free of any emotion. I know that she must have been scared to act like that. Poor little miss!

The doctor's examined her leg and only one time did she even make the slightest wince of pain. It was on her left side. They got her to walk around and she was still limping, but not as much as before. They even took an x-ray and nothing showed up. So, we were given an inconclusive diagnosis (probably a virus), gave Eve some  ibuprofen, and we were sent home.

In hindsight, we probably could have avoided the whole scene. But, I was just unsure and did not want to regret the decision of not going to the ER. The 'What ifs' would not have stopped. So, I am glad we went, even though it turned out to be 'nothing.'

No comments: