June 2012

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Valentine's Day

Since Tyson has started working as an auditor Valentine's Day is not quite the same. It is right in the middle of his busy season (No, he does not do taxes. He is an auditor) which means that he is working until all hours of the night. If Valentine's falls on a weekend, I might have some luck of seeing him before 11 p.m. But, this year it was on a Monday = I didn't see him until 11 p.m.

I have also realized that Valentine's is important to me - I love getting flowers and sometimes chocolate - but not quite as important as it was when I was single and searching for a Valentine. I guess it's nice to have a forever Valentine. I also don't really like going out on that day just because it's February 14th. It is a little crazy with everyone else trying to do the same thing. I would rather spend a nice night with my family, some homemade Thai food (a little tradition of ours), and go out on another night with Tyson.

Anyways, Valentine's actually was a fun day for the kids and me. The week before, Reed, Eve, and I spent some time making homemade Valentines. I cut out the hearts and put the person's name on it. Eve colored with crayons on a few. Reed got to color with markers (if he wanted to) and glue on these little balls that I found at the store. It was amazing to see Reed in action. We cut out valentines for the kids in his preschool, my parents, Tyson's parents, Reed, Tyson, and Eve. For each one Reed would ask, "Does (so and so) love (named a color)?" He really wanted to make sure that each person got their favorite color. It was just so cute and thoughtful!

The valentines turned out cute and we distributed the preschool ones, sent off the one to Grandma and Grandpa Walker, and then I hand-delivered the one to Grandma and Grandpa Rowberry. We hung up the valentines to daddy, Reed, and Eve on our wall. I also made a collage out of all the hearts we cut out. Can't let the paper go to total waster, right? I actually think it turned out pretty sweet!

On Saturday, February 12th, my parents took us to the play, "The Carpetbagger's Children" at Ford's Theatre. It was an interesting play and only had 3 actresses in the entire thing. I really enjoyed it. It made me think of how different life is now - easier in some respects and harder in others. But, it was nice to be able to get out with my parents and Tyson. Tyson worked up until the time we had to go, but was still able to squeeze in those hours to see the play with me! He also bought me a beautiful vase with pink and red roses. I do love my flowers :) Thanks, Mom and Dad!

February 13th, Sunday, Reed and Eve wore their new presents from Grandma Walker. Reed got a new tie and Eve got a matching sash. They were a hit with Reed, Eve, and everyone else at church. It was fun to see them matching :) Thanks, Grandma Walker!

On Valentine's Day the day was pretty normal. I went grocery shopping, I taught 7 piano lessons (and gave out suckers for Valentine's Day), made Masaman Curry for dinner, and watched "Chuck." When Tyson did get home he gave me a Symphony bar, which is always so good! My parents gave us some books: a parenting book and a children's book (titles below). It was a quiet Valentine's, but pretty enjoyable.

I actually forgot to give Tyson his Valentine's present, so he got it on the 15th. He got some 'Valentine's' movies: "Ever After" and "Fool's Gold." I thought they were valentines-y since they are chick flicks! Yahoo for movies!

Our entryway

An example of the valentines we made.

My flowers!

The books

New tie and sash from Grandma Walker

They got lots of positive comments! So cute!


1 comment:

mama donk aubri jo said...

I seriously need Peg to make me some ties, I need to bribe her or something :)