June 2012

Friday, August 13, 2010

10k

As of June I started training for a half-marathon that will take place on September 11, 2010. I had kind of put off really training for a couple of reasons: with Eve's eating issues I was more worried about trying to find things I could eat, tiredness, and just the laziness that I always feel when I am out of shape. But, I signed up for the half-marathon and figured that I needed to start running to be able to finish it. So, I started running.

I was pretty slow at the beginning, but things are just about where I would like them to be now. I just kept being consistent with my daily runs and followed Hal Higdon's beginner half-marathon training again. I really need to thank that man someday. He just makes it so easy to follow the schedule. I like having a list to check off, especially when it comes to physical fitness.

Well, I also needed at least one 10k to run before the half. So, I found one close to my house on the W&OD trail (which is the trail I trained on last time I trained for a half-marathon). It was Jule 31st at 6:30 pm (weird time, but kind of fun). I showed up with hundreds of other runners and we ran!

The race was pretty fun. It was almost all flat and on a familiar path, so that was good. One problem: I kept getting distracted by things going on around me! There were beautiful trees swaying in the breeze, birds, bikers (since it is a public trail, there were bikers riding during our race), the beautiful sunset, and so on and so forth. But, it was still a fun race.

There were also these guys, the Kenyans (although I am not 100% sure they are from Kenya), who were crazy fast! They finished the race in under 30 minutes! Yeah, do not even aspire to be that fast, nor do I think my body could ever run that fast for that long. Crazy sprinters! Don't you know that this is a distance race?! Obviously, they did not get the memo. They were definitely fast and definitely beat everyone else.

I finished the 6.2 miles in 1 hour, so not too bad. I wanted to finish faster, but, like I said, I got distracted and I haven't been training as long as last time I ran a 10k. Ah well. Hopefully, I can find another 10k before the half!

After the race, they gave us some bananas and juice and stuff. One thing they gave us really made me laugh: pizza! Yeah, I was really shocked by that. "Here, you just ran a race to try and be healthy. Have some cheese pizza." It just made me laugh. Reed and Tyson ate my piece. Then, we stopped by Great Harvest Bread Co. (since I can eat most of their breads) and the guy ended up giving us a loaf for free. They were already closed, but still had a loaf on the shelf. Wow! I am definitely going back there! The bread was absolutely fantastic!

Thank you to my lovely supporters: Tyson, Reed, Eve, and my dad! You guys are wonderful! Thanks for coming to see me sweat :)

Reed in Grandpa Rowberry's hat


There was even a baby joggers division that got to leave 1 minute before everyone else.

Those are some of the "Kenyans" (one of them actually showed up late to the race and ended up finishing in the top 5, which means he by far had the fastest time)

I am behind the guy in the white shirt

Almost done

I am the girl in the lighter red tank, in front of the lady that is closest in the picture

Yeah for the 10k!

More yeahs!

5 comments:

heather said...

Yay!!!! I'm so proud of you! I already have a half in mind after the baby is born, but it all depends on the baby, my laziness..etc. I'm just so proud of you for doing it again.
If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to get back into the routine of running after the baby? I just need to make some realistic goals for myself.

Casey and Allie said...

Hey! Good job with the 10k! It's always a great feeling to have a goal in the future and completing all the steps to accomplishing it.

Random--is Kristy your sister?

Casey and Allie said...

What a small world. I don't know Kristy very well at all, but we both lived together at Foreign Language Housing at BYU…when was it…it must have been Fall of 2006? It was just before she went on her mission. All I really remember about her was that she was very outgoing and that some guy was crazy about her and she went on her mission anyway. :)

kristen said...

Janae- you look great, you are amazing, and where do you find the time to run with 2 little kids?

Elisha Jones said...

Whew! You're my hero just for thinking of doing a 10K:) Great job!