June 2012

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Big Race

So, I am sure you have been waiting on baited breath to know about my half-marathon. It all started about 5 am on Saturday morning. I woke up after not sleeping for long enough and proceeded to get ready for my race. I had to ride the metro to DC because parking would have been just a hassle. So, I got already and triple-checked everything and drove the truck to the metro stop. As I was buying my ticket another lady was trying to do the same thing, only her credit card was not working! So, I bought her ticket and we ended up chatting for the whole metro ride! It was nice to have someone to talk to and it calmed my nerves (although I don't know why I was nervous, but I just was). She has been running for a while and talked all about running and groups I could join and everything. It was actually nice to hear from someone who has more experience with this running stuff. So, when we got to the stop, people poured out of the metro and we followed the masses. As my new-found friend was trying to stick her metro ticket behind her phone the wind came up and blew her ticket from her hand and on to the metro tracks!!! Luckily, everything worked out for her and she was able to get to the race. So, as I was getting ready for the race, I could hear the news announcers over a loud speaker. It was then that I realized how big of a thing this was.

The race started, but I had to wait for about 7-8 minutes to actually cross the start line. It was actually amazing to see thousands upon thousands of people running! The weather was absolutely perfect for running. It was a little chilly since the race started at 7, but after a mile, it was perfect! It was just gorgeous watching the sun rise on Washington, DC. I ran by the Capitol, the Washington Monument, and the Lincoln. Then, we turned and ran on other random streets. There were a few big hills, but I made it through! It actually felt amazing - it's hard to explain unless you have done the same thing. But, I loved it - it was the perfect amount of miles! I pushed myself, but did not feel like dying at the end. I finished strong :)

I really got energized by all the people cheering us on! It was fun to see the people out there. I even got to see Ryan and Barb (bro and sis-in-law). They took the only 3 pictures of me proving that I actually ran - don't worry, those pictures will be forthcoming. Anyways - I also loved all the people running - I know I already said that, but it was awesome! There were even some people with signs cheering us on. Other people provided free beer (it was pretty funny, I have to admit). Oh, the water/Powerade stations grossly underestimated how many people would drink out of cups. Because when I got to almost all the stations, there were no cups available. So, we had to drink from the gallon. No time to think about gross germs, so I took some swigs and kept jogging! I ended up finishing in 2:16:36 - a 10:26 minute mile...not bad for 13.1 miles :)

So, I officially want to do another half marathon, actually probably many more. I am still not sure about the marathon. I think I will probably train for at least one in my lifetime. But, who knows!

Tyson, Reed, and my dad ended up missing me at all the spots they had planned to see me at! Apparently, I was running too fast :) They were so upset! I have to admit, I was beginning to doubt if they had even come to the race. But, Reed was clapping with all the people, so there is proof that others saw them - so, I guess they did come! After the race, we all went and had some french toast at Ryan and Barb's house. It was fabulous!

Oh, I forgot to mention that we got these cool medals for finishing, I will post the pictures when I get them! All-in-all it was a fabulous morning. It was truly inspiring to be among all those people. There was just such positive energy going through out the entire race. I can't believe it's over!!! I am looing for other smaller races to run, just to keep myself constantly motivate to run. But, I will definitely be using this training method again (thanks to Hal Higdon). It made it attainable - something that I needed.

So, for those of you who are wondering if you can do it or not - you can!!!! You just have to put in the time before to train your body :) Running is amazing! I am glad that I can run!

Just one more side note - the first marathon runners finished in about 2:22:00 ....that's craziness if you ask me! We finished at almost the same time, but they ran twice as many miles as I did!

5 comments:

TJ and Jen Sherwood said...

Good work! I am NOT a runner so I'm alway proud of people who can do marathons! good job!

Stacey said...

Isn't it just amazing?! I can't wait to do another one, dang pregnancies just take priority. I'm so glad you did it and could experience that joy.

shiloh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shiloh said...

Way to go on your race, that is quite the accomplishment! I also have to say I love your photo at the top of your blog. Your family is looking great. :)

Megan said...

You're my hero!