June 2012

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Hawaii!!

 May 16-20 were spent in Hawaii!!! -  or traveling to and from. It was a Walker Family vacation, but the nursing babies were allowed to come this time. So, I guess this trip can be better titled as "Aria and Kade's Adventures in Hawaii!" It was a lot of fun, but a little harder for me since I couldn't have dairy or soy. It just makes everything more complicated when you are traveling - but we made it work and still had tons of fun!

We left early Wednesday morning and flew pretty much all day (at least it seemed like it), but due tot he time difference it was still just barely after noon when we landed. It took us a little while to get all of our things, but it took what seemed like forever to get the rental cars! We just waiting and waiting.

After what seemed like a long time (probably because I hadn't eaten very much food), we headed off to Pearl Harbor. That is one of the only places where we remembered to take pictures. Since Tyson was so excited he actually volunteered to take the pictures.

I went to Pearl Harbor the only other time I have been to Hawaii - Spring Break 2000 when I was a senior in high school. It was probably one of the coolest experiences of my life because our choir got to sing the national anthem on the U.S.S. Arizona memorial in the room where the names of the deceased are etched to the wall. It was just amazing to be able to experience that. I felt this amazing spirit of love and appreciation. It is indescribable.

Yes, I loved going to Pearl Harbor again and learned so many things that I did not pay attention to last time. However, no other visit to Pearl Harbor will be able to really compare to my first visit because it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Anyways - Here is our visit to Pearl Harbor. I loved going as an adult and a parent. I know that I have gained a lot of perspective since being married and becoming a mom, so I am grateful I got to come again. They say a picture is worth a thousand words - well, here are a bunch of pictures!

Jared and Tifani

Aria ready to fight. 

Aria and Kade's First Adventure in Hawaii. 

In the Harbor

Aircraft carrier

U.S.S. Arizona 

Submarine

Tyson really like aircraft carriers

U.S.S. Arizona Memorial

The names of the deceased

Remnants of the U.S.S. Arizona

Aria finally took a nap. 

Kimber, Adam, and Kade


Love this shot - I just think it's beautiful. 


Leaving Pearl Harbor 

After Pearl Harbor we tried to make it to Waikiki beach, but pretty much failed due to the insane traffic of downtown. Everyone was tired and hungry which meant we were all grumpy! So, we stopped at Bubba Gump's to eat some food. It took a really long time to get the food (at least it seemed long because I was so hungry), but when that food came and I ate, I started to feel amazing! Funny how food helps you to think clearly and gives you energy. :)

After dinner we set out to find our beach houses that we got for the duration of our stay in Hawaii. That was an adventure in and of itself! Tyson's dad didn't really know exactly where it was and it was dark outside with no street lamps. We did so many U-turns that I think people were getting motion sick! But, we eventually found our lodging and were very grateful to be out of the car. I can definitely see why it was hard to find - there was one small entrance to the house that you couldn't really see in the dark (the house was not visible from the street either) - but we made it. We put the babies to bed and went to bed.

The 17th (unless I flip flopped the 17th and 18th) was spent at the Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC) and BYU-Hawaii. We took a quick driving tour of  BYU-Hawaii and drove by the temple (don't worry there are pictures of the babies doing all these things). We showed up at the PCC right when the tours of the different polynesian countries started and spent the rest of the day learning about many of the cultures that make up the " -nesian" countries. Some of the highlights were watching guys climb up coconut trees with nothing but hands and feet, learning how to hula, and watching Tyson hula. :)  It really is a great place and we loved it!

That night we went to the luau and also watched the show they have there (I forgot the name). It was simply amazing all the things they did with fire! We all left amazed and astounded that the performers did not burn themselves to bits and secretly (and maybe not so secretly) wishing we could perform all the cool fire tricks, too!


The morning of the 18th was mainly spent on the beach. We had what we dubbed our private cove - our beach house was literally on the beach and there were some rocks that sheltered a part of the beach right in front of our house. It was the perfect spot for Aria and Kade to sit in the sand and play! They loved it! I loved being able to relax. We went kayaking, snorkeling, looked for sea shells, the babies took naps, and I even got to read a book! Tifani got stung by a jelly fish, which is always exciting and hurtful and I found some pretty cool shells to add to my basket in my bathroom. There were also little crabs around that would surface every now and again. It was great!



That afternoon we went on our ATV tour. I must admit I was a little  lot nervous. The only time I had ever driven a 4-wheeler was in when I was in high school, on my street (it was my neighbor's). I did awful! So, I was trying not to show it, but I was petrified that I would do awful. Well, I did do awful at the beginning. I was just so nervous and felt bad that I was letting everybody down. The guide (such a nice guy) got me a different ATV (one with power-steering - thank goodness!) and then put me right behind him. After a bit I got used to everything and did pretty well. He kept encouraging me and telling me that I was doing well, which always helps. By the end, I was just excited to be driving and the nerves were gone. So, maybe the next ATV ride won't be so nerve-wracking.

We did the tours on this ranch where they have filmed a bunch of movies: Godzilla, 50 First Dates, Jurassic Park, and definitely more that I cannot think of. It was beautiful scenery - I loved how green all the hills were! We also went to a look-out spot where you could see the ocean and the "straw hat/China man's hat" and the ocean was just gorgeous! At the end we just rode in circles and figure 8's and such - basically, we just got really dirty! Awesome!

After getting back from that, we went out to dinner and headed to the temple. I do have to say that I was not quite as attentive and I would have liked because I was exhausted! I didn't sleep super well during the night and the sun rose super early, so I got woken up super early. But, I am still glad that we got to do a session in the temple. Maybe the next time I come, I will be a little more awake. :)


The temple

Love this view! 

It looks like a postcard to me. The sun just perfect, the clouds just perfect, the water beautiful with the fountain, and gorgeous trees and shrubbery.

Just after our session
The 19th we went to Aloha Stadium to their flea market/swap meet. It was HUGE! It went around the outside of the whole stadium - with so much stuff! We looked and looked and found things for the kids, ourselves, and ate some slushy stuff. Yum. :)

We stopped by a look-out (I have completely forgotten the name) and it was breathtaking! It was definitely worth stopping by one more place to look at the view! We did some more swimming/kayaking/snorkeling on the beach.

That night we found a restaurant because we wanted to go to this shop next door - it was called Donkey Balls. Turns out it was a shop where they sold all types of chocolate-covered macadamia nuts. We definitely spent more time than we should have laughing at all the types of donkey balls they sold. We are so childish - but it was pretty funny. Apparently (although I didn't get to try any because of the no dairy/no soy diet) they were really delicious. Guess I will have to go back and try some for myself. Dinner was really good - I had some sort of Brazilian food with coconut milk. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it was delicious. Afterwards, we went back and played games. Yeah!

Aria's baths were taken in the sink! 
Sunday, the 20th, we went to a Tongan ward and Dave was SO excited! We got a special mention from the podium and the people were so nice to us. I didn't understand much of anything that was said, but it was cool to be in a setting where you can still feel the spirit, even if you don't understand the words. Quite an adventure! Then, we went back, packed up our stuff and headed to the airport. We had some craziness at the airport because they couldn't find Tyson's or my reservations. We finally got that figured out and then our bags were a problem. Then, when we were going through security, Tyson had to give up his fruit because we couldn't take it on the plane. Anyways, we basically had to run to the gate by the time everything was said and done. Thankfully, we made it and everyone got home safe! Phew! What a great, exhausting, adventurous trip to Hawaii!

No comments: