June 2012

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Blackberries and 4 Generations

August 10, 2011 - We went blackberry picking for the second year in a row. I plan on making this a tradition as long as I live near Butler's Orchard. The blackberries are always big, juicy, and just plain delicious! Reed and Eve loved it and were accompanied by some of their favorite friends Maylie, Taryn, and baby Nyah. Eve thought that squishing the berries was the best part. Reed did a fantastic job picking berries that were the purple/black and big! There were so many options for good berries, that it was hard to pick a bad one!

We picked enough so that I could make one batch of non-cook freezer jam (it's a Ball package and calls for 1 1/2 cups of sugar instead of 7 cups - plus you don't cook it, so it tastes like the berries!) and got to try out a recipe from Butler's Orchard called Berry Crisp. Everything turned out super yummy!

Also, we made a trip to the Cafe Rio is Olney, MD after berry picking! Always fun to have a little reminder of the West. Funny what you will do for fun memories :)

Eve was pretty much covered in berries - but everything came off without a problem.

Our blackberries

August 12, 2011 - The day before Kristy's wedding! Yes, I am still adjusting to the fact that my little sister is married. I guess that means I must be old or something :) Well, my grandparents (who NEVER fly) flew out for the wedding so that my grandpa could seal them! That was pretty exciting! I will get to the wedding tomorrow, but just wanted to post some 4 generation photos. I figured that I needed to get them sooner, rather than later since we are all only getting older.


Eve, Me, my dad, Grandma Dalling (formerly Rowberry - my dad's mom)

Reed, me, my dad, Grandma Dalling

Me, my mom, Eve, Grandma Dalling (not the actual maternal line, but pretty close)

My dad, Eve, me, my mom, Reed, Grandma Dalling, Grandpa Dalling (he is technically my step-grandpa, but my Grandpa Rowberry passed away when I was 3 months old. This is the only grandpa that I really grew up with. He has always treated me like his granddaughter; therefore, he really is my grandpa.)

No comments: