June 2012

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Recent Happenings for Tyson

Well, Tyson is supposed to do a post about his hunting trip and other things that have happened, but he is extremely busy at work right now. So, until that post comes, I will give a mini post for Tyson - to remember dates and things.

October 13th I drove Tyson to the airport way too early in the morning! He was off to go on (what is now) his yearly hunting with his dad and some other people from Las Vegas. This year his brother, Jared, went as well. He was so excited to be going! He couldn't wait to get there, see everyone again, and do 'boy' things aka shoot pheasants.

Originally, he was supposed to be back on Saturday - so just a couple of days. Mentally, that is what I had prepared for, but not what ended up happening.

I got calls throughout the day when he landed in spot or was about the leave for a connecting flight. He flew into somewhere in South Dakota and then took a shuttle to the hunting ranch where he met up with his dad, brother, and the rest of the crew including Jed Weidhauer, who I knew from high school! Random, I know. My husband is now once-a-year-friends with Jed and knows him better than I do. :) Jed, we are going to see each other someday in Las Vegas.

I got a call from Tyson saying that his grandpa has passed away! I was in total shock! For all I knew, his grandpa was in ok shape and no where near passing away. It really threw me for a loop.

Before I go one about Grandpa Zobrist, I will finish the little I really know about the hunting trip.

Tyson shot at least 1 bird, but somehow managed to come home with 4 (Thanks, Dave). Jared got shot with some of the bibis - he even got one in his face. The weather was so much better than last year. They played lots of Rook. Jed and Tyson got along famously. Tyson flew straight from hunting to Las Vegas. That is pretty much what I know. Tyson, will eventually fill in all the fun details that he wants to tell.

Now on to Grandpa Zobrist......

I didn't know Grandpa Zobrist that well, but he was a great man. What I did know about him personally was that he loved his kids, and he always told me that I was beautiful. He also told Tyson that he did a great job marrying me (I couldn't agree more).

He was not afraid to do what he wanted, when he wanted to do it. One Sunday while we were in Las Vegas, we had gone to Grandpa Zobrist's ward. It was a fast Sunday. The testimonies had ended and the conductor was up at the pulpit about to speak. Before he could get out a word, Grandpa Zobrist stood up and almost shouted his testimony from the row where he was seated. I did chuckle a little bit because it was a little 'crazy,' but it also showed me that he was not afraid to share his testimony of the gospel.

I also have heard this story about Grandpa Zobrist thinking horse radish was cheese enough times that I almost believe I was there (it was before I met Tyson). He was just a funny man.

His death was a shock to everyone. He had been in the hospital the day before, but seemed to be doing just fine. In fact, he was walking around saying he felt fine just 20 minutes before passing away. So, really, everyone was shocked.

Thankfully, we know that he has been reunited with Tyson's Grandma Zobrist. Everyone tells me that he had not been the same since she passed away in 1998. Finally, at complete peace.

The funeral was on Monday, October 18, 2010. From what I hear, it was a nice funeral. Tyson got to see all of his Zorbist cousins, which has not happened in years. It was all a bit of a whirl wind, with Tyson coming home on Tuesday.

For me, it was the longest week ever, almost. I just felt a little lost, I am not sure why. I guess I had mentally prepared for something and when something else happened, it got to me. Part of me really wanted to be at the funeral and with Tyson. But, the logical and realistic side of me knew that we couldn't afford it, our kids would be cranky and upset the whole time, and it was all the way across the country. So, it was a lonely week for me. But, everything worked out the way it was supposed to. Hopefully, Tyson can fill in some of the missing details. We miss you Grandpa Zobrist!

1 comment:

The Black Widow said...

Oh man, that fast and testimony meeting was classic Grandpa. I wish you could have been there, it was a great funeral. We missed you!