June 2012

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Halloween Fun and Veterans

Happy Veteran's Day!!!! I always think of my grandpa Dalling and my grandpa Rowberry on Veteran's Day. They both fought bravely during WWII.

My grandpa Dalling actually save a lot of lives by sacrificing some of his fingers. Basically, he held a grenade to his body. It blew off 3 of his fingers and he now has shrapnel inside his body. But, he survived and saved lives.

My grandpa Rowberry was in the marines and was in the first wave that went into Japan after the atomic bombs. He helped clean up the area and came to love the Japanese people. When he came home, he was told he would probably not be able to have children because of exposure to all the chemicals. Well, my dad was born, but no other children were born. I don't remember how much after the war it was, but many years post-WWII, some Japanese people came all the way to Idaho Falls to visit my grandpa. They really loved him.

So, when I think of Veteran's, that is what I think of. I could not be prouder of these 2 men. They have been examples to me throughout my life! Happy Veteran's Day!

Halloween came in many stages this year.

Saturday - 10/23 - our friends had a Halloween party. We got dressed up (well, except Tyson) and headed to the Arrington's. They have one of these every year! I love it every year :) Thanks, Arrington's!

Monday - 10/25 - we got all the seeds out of our pumpkin. Tyson got home just a few minutes before bed time, so we only had time to do the seeds. We baked the seeds that night after the kids went to bed.

Reed was a little grossed out by the texture of the pumpkin guts.

But, he did consent to get out the seed with a spoon.

Showing his yucky fingers.

He actually worked at it for a long time.

And even tried to smile for the camera.


Tuesday - 10/26 - Reed found the roasted pumpkin seeds and put them back in the pumpkin. He thought that is where they belonged. Well, so much for that. Our seeds went all soggy by the time I found them. Ah well. We also had our ward party that night. I do not know why it was on a Tuesday night, but it was. So, I got the kids dressed, threw on one of my old high dance dresses (which is now much looser than it was in HS!), and met Tyson at the party. Tyson had been roped into being a background dancer for an Elvis number. It was supposed to be ward leadership, so many of the guys had to be convinced they should be backgrond dancers. I was surprised that Tyson said, "Yes," but he did. He said he felt bad because many of the guys that were asked to be in are shy about dancing or performing. It turned out pretty good and funny, of course. We had some other singing numbers and little games put on by the YM/YW. Then, we had our trunk-or-treat. Reed really got into it this year! He loved getting all the candy, said "Trick or treat" and "thank you" after getting the candy. He loved it! Overall, a fun night!

We has even more Halloween fun, but that is to come in another post! Look for it soon!

Reed: construction workers, Tyson: guy from the 50s (because he had to), Me: princess?, Eve: pumpkin

We could not get a picture where everyone was looking at the camera! Ah well.

2 comments:

The Black Widow said...

Please please please tell me that someone got the backup dance on video and that you plan to bring it with you over Christmas, because that would be awesome.

Bloom Family said...

Caleb and Reed were both construction workers! That's fun your ward put on a little show for part of the evening.