June 2012

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

So Big

Reed is getting so big! It's crazy to me that he has grown up so much! I guess I knew it would happen, and no, he's not starting Kindergarten or anything, but it just seems like time is flying by. My first little baby is not even close to being a baby anymore. Sad and good at the same time.

Recently, I had been thinking about preschool/joyschool. I did not want to do anything super intense because it is not really age-appropriate for Reed yet. He needs time to just play and be social with other kids, not just do work all the time. But, I had wanted something a little more structured and predictable than going to a friend's house every once in a while. So, we started a little preschool (I don't really know the difference between joyschool and preschool) with 6 kids.

I emailed the mom's of the kids that would eventually be in Reed's kindergarten class. Most of them loved the idea of doing something like that, so we planned everything out. The kids meet once a week from 9:30-11:30 at a different mom's house. We came up with themes for each week, realizing that it would mostly be a more structure play time, a time to work on those social skills! :)

So, each of us plans a little lesson, a craft/activity, maybe even sings some songs (depending on which mom it is). The kids have a little snack and then they play for the rest of the time. We have done this for two weeks and it seems to be going really well! Reed was a little hesitant for me to go the first week (oh, I forgot to mention, we drop the kids off at each house), but did fine after about 30 seconds. The second week (today) he didn't whine at all. :) He seems to really love playing with his friends and doing the activities. He talks about the kids and what they did. He is proud of his craft. Man, my little buddy is growing up! But, I wouldn't change a thing. This has been great so far! I am in charge next week and my theme is Halloween! I know I already have too much planned, but it should be fun!

Week 1: Reed made a rocket ship and learned aboud Astronauts! It is now hanging on his wall.

Week 2: Reed learned about bugs and make a butterfly mask. Don't tell, but I accidentally left it on top of the car! I remembered a little while later, but it had been rained on. :( It is in the process of drying. Hopefully it will be ok. :)

1 comment:

Elisha Jones said...

I love it! What a great idea, and very smart to get the group together. Why not? Sounds so much fun, too:)