June 2012

Friday, October 15, 2010

5k and Frying Pan Farm

Saturday, October 9th was busy, busy, busy! But, it was awesome! It all started early in the morning in Reston, VA. I had signed up for the Anthem Great Pumpkin 5k. Originally, my mom was supposed to be jogging it, but she ended up not being able to go. Since I had already paid for it, I figured this race could be about trying to finish as fast as I can.

A 5k is 3.1 miles, so I was hoping to finish with about an 8-minute mile. The race started at 8:30 a.m., which ended up being a perfect time to start. We didn't even have to leave the house until 7:30, so no body was too cranky. :) As we arrived at Reston Town Center, I realized that this race was going to be huge! Turns out, there were over 3,000 people running/walking this race! Yeah, it was a little crazy.

When the first wave went, I was with them. They had all the timed runners go in the first wave. It was a little crazy as everyone started running. You could feel the intensity of some of these people. People were almost pushing each other to pass them. Yeah, a little intense. Luckily, I was able to stay with the pack and ended strong.

It really was a fast race. It felt like I started, ran for a few minutes, and then it was all over. My final time was 24:26! I was elated - a 7:52-minute mile! That is definitely a record for me. I have just never pictured myself as a competitive runner, but I guess I need to stop saying that. Running is becoming part of me. It is something that I can do wherever I am at. And honestly, I feel really good when I accomplish my goals. So, I guess I am a runner - maybe not the fastest in the bunch, but I am a runner. :)

After my race was over, Reed participated in a pumpkin dash. He was in the 4 years and under category and got to run with Tyson. It was so cute seeing all the little kids running. Reed did such a good job! He actually started weaving in between kids to be able to run faster! Looks like he may like running. :) He even got a little ribbon. So cute!

After the races were done, we headed to Herndon, VA to Frying Pan Farm. Reed and I have been here a few times, but have never gone on a tractor ride. Well, we had one half-price ticket, so we decided that a tractor ride would be so much fun! We were right! Reed loved every minute of the tractor ride. We rode through Frying Pan Farm and learned that it was the only working farm in Fairfax County. It is 160+ acres, which is not super big for a farm, but they do grow a lot of food. They have cows, horses, pigs, goats, chickens, rabbits, turkeys, ducks, peacocks, lambs, and some random Canadian geese that just happen to show up sometime.

After our tractor ride, we went to look at the farm animals. Pigs, geese, cows, horses, peacocks, ducks in a bath tub, you know, the fun stuff. Reed enjoyed running, looking at the animals, and hunting for a pumpkin. Yes, we got our pumpkin at their pumpkin patch. It was pretty "mushy" as I told Reed, but he didn't seem to care. Tyson and Reed found an awesome pumpkin for $5, so we were all happy.

We ate lunch on the picnic benches and then headed home for nap time. Yeah for fun days!

Pre-race picture

"On your marks (except for we didn't have any), get set,......

Go!!"

Tyson didn't get a picture of me at the end because I was just that fast. :)

It was a great race. I felt really good after it was all over.

Eve watching all the races.

Tyson and Reed - they are quite a running pair.

Reed was literally pulling Tyson forward to run faster! He was into it :)

On the tractor....

There is our fun tractor driver!

The chickens and roosters

The bunny

The lambs

Reed loved runing wherever he could!

3 comments:

jessica said...

What fun! I am trying to convince myself to get back into running. Do you live in Reston now? My parents just live around the corner, next time I'm in town we'll have to get together!

Mrs. Ordinary said...

Great job lady! (and you are getting so skinny--woo hoo!)

Andrea said...

Good for you. I'm not a runner, but I really admire those that are. The Frying Pan park looks fun. We never made it there.