June 2012

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Will eat to blow out candles

Yes, I know the title sounds strange, but it is something that Reed did yesterday that simply cracked me up. Firstly, Reed has always loved candles/fire. He used to want to touch it (scary), but now mostly just wants to blow the candles. He has not really been able to blow them out, but knows what it looks like. The other day, I was teaching Reed how to blow out candles (because I don't want him to touch them, but rather blow them out) and he blew one out by himself! I got more excited than I like to admit that h could blow out the candle all by himself. So, at lunch Reed saw the candles and was asking me to light them so he could blow them out. I used this a little to my advantage to get him to eat some food he was not too excited about. He would take a bite, then I would like the candle. Then, he would take another bite in exchange for being able to blow the candle out. This went on until the meal was done and candle time with mom was done as well. I was shocked that he never tried to touch the flame, but always focused on blowing it out. Smart boy! I guess all the times of saying, "Too hot!", "Ouchie!", and "That's a no-no." really did pay off. No, it doesn't happen at every meal time, mostly because I won't let him see the candles that much, but I thought it was a great way to combine fire safety with meal eating!

The pictures really have nothing to do with the story because I cannot take pictures while trying to watch Reed blow out candles, but they are fun anyways. This is the rest of September (I know it is the middle of October) in picture/video form. Hope you enjoy it!



This is one of Reed's favorite little friends. Apparently, he likes to back girls into corners and chat with them. Check out the video below....it looks like he is hold her hostage! Good thing I know they are friends :)

Reed will often squint when he is trying to be funny in a picture. This is right before we moved out of our old apartment when Reed realized that he could climb on our closet shelves. He was extremely pleased with himself.


Reed showing his fake smile and laughing about it afterward.

Wow, I cannot believe that my baby is 18 months and going to Nursery! (First official day of Nursery - September 20, 2009)

Reed's old room - we forgot to take a picture with everything in there, but it was basically all against one wall. Ah, dens/closets are so much fun!

Reed's favorite cupboard in our new apartment. He climbs in, shuts the door on himself, then giggles when we ask where he is! Such a fun game :)

For play group, we went to some shows in the park. Reed loved the guitar.

Contemplating about stealing someone's food (he apparently is not shy when it comes to taking other people's food).

This was a one-man band. He played guitar, sang, played the drum, harmonica, and probably some other instruments as well. That is talent!




Daddy and Reed playing with Target bags. It's amazing how much fun free things can be when playing with daddy.

Reed sort of holding Taryn hostage. Thankfully, she was willing to be put in a corner, squatting. They did this periodically throughout the night. It was the ward chili cook-off and I won 3rd place! Go White Chili!!!!

3 comments:

Adam B said...

He is such a cutie. :) And I LOVE white chili. We have one that we make at our house that is amazing! We stole it from www.mykitchencafe.blogspot.com. :)

Elisha Jones said...

How much fun! Reed's looking more and more like Tyson. I love the exchange for blowing candles and food. Hey, you're a real mom if you use smarts like that!

The Black Widow said...

Already good with the ladies. Nice job Reed.