June 2012

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Pumpkin Goo and other news

Recently, Reed has found the washer/dryer very interesting. He helps me put the clothes in the washer and the dryer (although the latter is harder for him to reach, since it is a stackable washer/dryer combo). One day he decided he wanted to actually be in the dryer. Yes, daddy lifted him into the dryer and Reed opened and closed the door on himself for at least 10 minutes. It was a blast!



Last weekend we decided that it was time to carve at least one of the pumpkins in our apartment (note: the tiny pumpkin that we got from the pumpkin patch went moldy, but the bigger is still in tact!) We ended up carving the one that I purchased from our local Safeway. We tried to get Reed to pull out the pumpkin goo/slimey stuff from the pumpkin with his hands, but he flat out refused that. So, I ended up giving him a spoon to dig some of it out. He dug out a few spoonfuls, then decided he would rather watch daddy do it than actually do it himself.



Then, we decided to carve the pumpkin. Now don't expect anything super fancy or exciting. Neither Tyson nor I are good at that kind of stuff unlike some of our friends (James/Amy). We always go for the traditional geometric shapes, and we did the same this year. It has worked out thus far :)


The pumpkin turned out cute and Reed is a little obsessed with taking the lid on and off and on and off. We also put out fake lights in it - they turn different colors when you turn them on. Reed thought that was the coolest thing and knelt by the pumpkin for at least 1/2 hour playing with the lights. I think real candles will have to wait for a much later date! Someday.......




Reed also got a new Halloween tie on Saturday. Of course, he had to show it off on Sunday. I must say this is one of my favorite ties yet! Thanks Grandma Walker! Reed loves to point out the spiders on the tie :) He is just getting so big! What am I going to do?


In other news, fall is officially here and the trees are officially beautiful! I got a photo of one of the trees at our church - I do love East coast fall colors - some of my favorite scenery ever!

Reed's last tooth (besides the 2-year molars) finally broke the skin and is actively growing in! People have been asking what happened to his tooth - wondering if he got it knocked out or something. I just smile and say, "It's finally coming in!" So, hopefully those questions will stop soon. (Reed actually took this picture himself! Can you see that last little tooth poking through?)


Lastly, our primary program was on Sunday and I am on chorister (which = me waving my arms in from of everyone for the better part of an hour). It actually turned out great! I was a bit overcome with emotion at the beginning and started crying during one of the songs, but was able to pull it together. I probably could have cried through the whole thing (note: when I am pregnant, I can cry much easier than when I am not pregnant), but decided the kids might think that they had done something wrong. Really, I was just so happy it was all working out and could feel the little spirits of the kids. It's amazing the power that music has to touch your heart. For me, music is the most powerful way that I feel the Spirit. It was awesome to lead the kids and now that weight of the Program is gone - also an amazing feeling.

4 comments:

heather said...

That is what both of my kids do with the pumkins. They scrap out a tiny bit and then are done.
I can't believe how big he is gettin. Oh, and love the tie.

Elisha Jones said...

Fun! Halloween and fall time are great! I was totally expecting Reed to want to blow the candle out and have it lit again! hehe The pumpkin turned out awesome!

taylor said...

I always cry at the primary programs, too. Even when I'm not involved with them! The kids are just too precious!

I can't believe how big Reed is getting. I love his Halloween tie! :)

Stephanie Abney said...

What a fun blog about your family, Janae!! I just "ran" into it searching for someone else in the family. Lucky for me. Take care, sweetie.

Love, Aunt Stephanie