June 2012

Monday, July 6, 2009

Hapy Father's Day from Alaska???

I know I am a bit behind with all this blogging stuff. I have been super tired lately with this little baby inside of me, but am starting to feel human again! So, this week should be full of multiple blogs trying to get up-to-date with the Walker Family happenings. So, yes, for Father's Day both Tyson and I were in Alaska without Reed! Crazy, I know!

Tyson had to go to Anchorage, Alaska for a work assignment. Yeah, I know, pretty far away. He was not too excited to be away for 2 weeks at a time, but the plus side to it is that they would fly me out there for Father's Day weekend. I decided to take the free flight and go see some of Anchorage! I figured, "When else do I get to go to Alaska for so cheap?.....Never!" Reed stayed with Grandma and Grandpa Rowberry and I began the 11-hour journey across the United States.

I did have Reed withdrawals, probably more than he had mommy withdrawals. It was the first time I had ever been apart from him for over a couple of hours. It was very strange. However, Alaska was very beautiful and an amazing place!

After the long journey there, I was just so tired and exhausted, but decided that I needed to take advantage of the 2 days I had there. Tyson and I went on nature walks, ate at some amazing restaurants, saw a movie about the Northern Lights, saw a glacier!, saw bunches of mountains and snow, went to the temple, went to the Botanical Gardens, and even had time for some sleeping!

It was a great adventure, but colder than we were both expecting! It was in the 50s.....so, I was wishing I had brought a bigger coat, but the native Alaskans were shorts and t-shirts. So, I can never actually live in Alaska.

Since it was close to the summer solstice there were festivals going on with live music and everything! We stopped by and were amazed at how many people were there...it was a neat experience. But, the weirdest and perhaps, coolest thing was that the sun never actually went down. Even during the 4 hours of dark each night, it was basically like the sun was setting, but never actually set. Interesting.....

So, Alaska was great, but we are glad that we don't live in such a cold place! I would love to visit again and have a little more time to explore more of the huge state!

On our nature walk, we saw a train!

Go Alaska!


Although it looks like dusk, the sun actually never went down! It was really strange and cool! At 10:00 PM there were still little babies out and it looked like it was 5:00 PM. That's Alaska summers for ya!

The Anchorage, Alaska Temple





This was one of the hot spots for eating in Anchorage. They are known for their pizza and homemade beer and root beer. We got the root beer - yummy!

On our way to see the glacier, we stopped and looked at the amazing scenery

Yes, it was VERY windy (love the hair!), but beautiful

On our glacier tour, we saw waterfalls....

and a GLACIER!!!!!

Yes, it was freezing, even in the middle of June!


It is not dirty. The glacier is actually crushing rock that turns into silt.


The water is this really weird color because there is so much silt in it. Also, the sun cannot penetrate below the water due to the silt. Therefore, there is no living animals or plants in this water!




This was a real ice berg! It looks so little on the top, but it was not moving when the boat passed it meaning that there was a ton more of that under the water!

Our glacier was 4 miles long and 1/2 mile wide



This white stuff (I forgot the name) is the aftermath of a glacier on the mountain


On our drive back....

We ate at this restaurant and I ate te best seafood chowder I have ever eaten in my life!

Tyson ordered the Jumbo King Crab legs! He only finished about 1/2 of it - it was huge!

We went to the Botanical Gardens and found the Alaska state flower, forget-me-not!

Reed helping daddy unpack after he had been gone for two weeks!

2 comments:

kristen said...

That looks like an awesome trip! I keep saying that some day David and I will go on a trip without the kids, but I just haven't been able to do it yet. I don't like to leave my kids. I will get to go to girls camp in a few weeks, but at least I will know that the girls are safe and happy at home with daddy and Grandma. I'm glad you got to have a fun trip, though, and that you're feeling better now!

dannii said...

Reed just totally sold me on that suitcase. seriously, that is how good a model he is. you are preparing for the next walker model right? good. ;) oh, and alaska looks pretty rad - haha. i hope someday to get there! let's play sometime!