June 2012

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Happy 4th!

So, I know I am late in reporting about Independence Day, but I still gotta do it!

The night before we had a ward gathering called "The 4th on the 3rd" - catchy, I know. They had games outside, a pancake dinner and even a homemade parade! After all of that, we even had some entertainment - they went all out! I actually got asked to sing the National Anthem. I was doing good until right before I got up to sing. Then, my heart was pounding so hard that I thought I might forget the words. Thankfully, it was not a disaster - I got quite a few positive comments, so that made me feel better :) At least I did not forget the words! All-in-all, it was a fun ward party! Nice to celebrate with a ward family :)
Reed and Tyson getting ready for the ward parade - all the kids got pinwheels and bells! Nothing better :)

On the 4th, we had a great day - fun, relaxing, yet busy:) We went to a birthday party in the morning for one of Reed's little friends, Lucy. She is the cutest little girl and was actually born on the 4th! (That was Tyson's dream, but his mom was off by about 1/2 hour - probably because she was watching fireworks) We ate food, chatted, the kids played in the kiddie pools and it was much fun. Then, we spent the rest of the 4th with my parents and my niece, Sasha, who was in town for the weekend.

Tyson and I made homemade blackberry ice cream (a Walker family tradition) - it was scrumptious! Tyson got super excited to use his outdoor cooker for the first time to make french fries (also something the Walker family is famous for). The fries were a hit! We ate every last one. The cooker worked amazing and Tyson was pleased with himself! We also had watermelon and hamburgers - just so American to me.

We played some games and waited around for it to get dark and the fireworks to start. We walked over to Key Bridge (Francis Scott Key Bridge to be exact) and watching them shoot off the fireworks. It was great because we had a good view and only had to show up 1/2 hour before it actually started! Life could not get any better than that on Independence Day!

Reed absolutely LOVED the fireworks. He does have this obsession with lights and fire, so I was not super surprised. It was so cute! He would ooooh and aaaah and then look at Tyson and I, point to the fireworks and ooooh and aaaaah again (as if to say, "Are you watching this?! It's amazing!").

We went back to my parents house, did some sparklers and then called it a night! We actually ended up getting home a little after 11 pm....not bad for being in DC and all the traffic and everything! Good thing we did not take the metro - we did that one year and we did not get home until 1am! So, Happy Late Independence Day!

The fireworks!


Sorry about the lamp post

Part of the finale

I thought this one looked kind of like those pictures you see from the Hubble Telescope of stars.

2 comments:

PriceFamily said...

You got a LOT better pictures than I did. Not sure why my timing was off. lol Glad to hear you've had a great 4th!

James and Amy said...

Looks like fun! And, how fun to go to Alaska! I can imagine how weird it would be to leave Reed. Caleb is like a new appendage attached to me, and it is so weird when that appendage is taken away. :)