June 2012

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cranberry Crawl 10k and Uncle Jared

Saturday, November 20th was extremely eventful! Let's start with the morning (always a good place to start). I had signed up for a 10k at Hains Point called The Cranberry Crawl (since it was the Saturday before Thanksgiving). We drove over there, I got my number, and the race began.

My goal was to run it in 54 minutes or under, so faster than a 9-minute mile. The race went smoothly. I ran at a decent pace and did not feel tired or anything. But, when it came to the finish line, the time clock wasn't working. Thus, I could not find out what my time was. :( There was a man who was taking down times, but I wouldn't be able to find out right then. I thought I had finished in at least 54 minutes, if not a little faster than that, so I was pleased.

After the results were posted, I was still pleased! I ran the 10k (6.2 miles) in 52:41! That is my fastest time to date, so I am happy. I have another 10k (same place) on the 18th of December, so I will try and beat my previous time (but I am still so happy about that time, I would be ok if I just tied that time). Yahoo! Racing is fun :)

After the race, we were going to the train station to pick up Jared, Tyson's younger brother. He was in NY doing some interviewing for internships and decided to take the train to our house for the weekend. We were all very excited to see him, but the traffic was nasty!

This was also they day of the National Homeless Walkathon (3.1-mile walk), so yes, traffic was horrific! We called Jared and had him meet us at a metro stop somewhere else in D.C.

While we were waiting for Jared, we also discovered that my phone had been lost. I had put it in the bottom of the stroller before the race. Tyson and had taken things in and out of the bottom of the stroller not knowing that my phone was in there. So, it must have fallen out sometime when things were being shuffled around down there.

We were already planning on going back to the race spot and looking for my phone (hoping that it had not been stolen), when Tifani, Tyson's oldest sister, called. It was about 7:30 am her time on a Saturday. Tifani NEVER wakes up that early (except for maybe on Christmas morning) on a weekend. She was a little groggy, but explained that a man had called her saying that he had picked up my phone. How he got to Tifani's name, I don't know. He had called my parents, who didn't pick up. He also called a few other people in my phone book, but not Tyson. We still laugh that he called Tifani who lives in Las Vegas. But, at least she picked up and the message found its way to us! Thanks, Tif!

Jared arrived, we put his stuff in the back, and then were off to pick up my phone from this guy's house. Meanwhile, I was supposed to be at a sleep conference (as a Q&A answerer person) for a friend, and was very, very late! I had no way to contact her because her phone number was in my phone and not Tyson's! I was getting frustrated, I smelled from all that running, and everyone desperately needed some food! We picked up my phone, drove home, and by that time the conference was scheduled to be over. I felt horrible! I called my friend, explained the situation, and she was very understanding.

By this time it was noon, and I finally went to shower. Everyone got some food, and the kids went down for naps.

In the afternoon, we went to a few museums - Art and Air & Space. Jared became one of Reed's favorite people - best buds now. Whenever he was gone, Reed would ask, "Where's Uncle Jared? I want to see him!" It was pretty cute. I do have cute kids, after all :) Eve was just a happy little girl and smiled tons.

We ate Thai food for dinner (yum!) and then came home, exhausted!

Jared stayed with us Sunday as well, which was a lot of fun because it was my dad's birthday! That will be in the next post, don't worry.

Monday morning, the kids and I dropped Jared off at the metro station. Reed was absolutely distraught and just plain mad that Uncle Jared had to leave. He was crying the whole way home saying, "I want to see Uncle Jared." Poor little buddy. But, he calmed down when I told him that we would see Uncle Jared (that is his name, not just Jared) for Christmas in Vegas. That made him smile. :)

Kind of a crazy weekend, but awesome as well!

We did 2 loops for the 10k, this was the end of the 1st loop.

Home stretch

I started to run a bit faster when I could see the end.

We almost forgot to take a picture post-race!

Uncle Jared and Reed - best friends (Is there anything better than water fountains/water falls?! Not for Reed!)

Outside of the National Gallery of Art

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Great job on the race! I'm so glad an honest person found your phone...JC lost his a while back and a guy racked up charges on it. Anyway, congratulations:)

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

wow-- I didn't know you were a runner! good for you!