June 2012

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Happy Birthday from Connecticut

September 4th I turned 28! I cannot believe that I am almost 30! I used to think that 30 was so old, but it is sounding younger and younger to me. Anyways - I had a great birthday!

I woke up and ran 11 miles. That's right - 11!!! My half marathon was the next week (9/11), so I could not skip my long run. The weather was extremely beautiful and perfect for a long run.

When I got back, Tyson had done the dishes, gotten the kids dressed, and picked up the house! Seriously, is there anything better than that?! Thank you Tys! You are the bestest. :)

I got a phone call from Jen which really helped to make my day special. I love how she always remembers my birthday! I got all dressed and ready and opened presents :) another favorite activity! Tyson did so good - I got Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar 2, a bread pan (I have probably mentioned to Tyson too many times about how I want a new bread pan), and a gift card to buy new clothes! Yahoo! I also got money from my in-laws and my parents to get some new clothes! I am excited because not very many clothes fit me well anymore. I also got a pair of earrings from my mom that she got in Fiji. I am not exactly sure what it is called, but it is the inside of a certain shell. They are gorgeous! Thanks to all, especially Tyson, who did a great job on presents. I know that presents aren't the most important things, but they sure are fun.

Then, we got all packed up and head to Union Station. We took the train to New Haven, CT!! Yes, another birthday present was going to visit Justin (my brother), Megan (his wife), and family. They moved to Connecticut this summer because Justin is doing a fellowship at Yale in developmental and behavioral pediatrics. I was really excited to see them since we really haven't gotten to see them too many times since they got married. Now, 6 kids and almost 12 years later (I think), they finally live close enough where we can visit every once in a while. Yahoo! They had their 6th child in July and were blessing her on September 5th. So, we decided that it would be fun to go visit and be there for the Kate's baby blessing.

The train ride was pretty awesome! Reed was so excited to get on a 'big train' and was even more excited to see the trains pass each other. I really do love the train. You can show up 20 minutes or less ahead of time and still have a seat. There is no huge security checkpoint and you don't have to check (or pay for) luggage. The seats are big and there is leg room. Also, you can bring food, drinks, use your cell phone, and get up and walk around whenever you want to. I brought Eve's car seat which made it pretty easy for her to fall asleep. Reed was too excited to fall asleep until the very end of our 5+ hour train ride. But, I didn't mind the time because I could do whatever I needed to do on the train.

Justin came and picked us up, and we took off to their house. I do love how sweet Justin is with kids. It's nice to have a pediatrician in the family, but more than that, it's nice that he truly cares about kids. Reed was a little hesitant at first, but by Sunday morning, Justin was a new best friend. :)

So, we ate dinner that night and Megan was just so sweet with all the meal preparation. She made sure that everything was dairy and soy free. Thank you, thank you, thank you! It was nice to not have to worry too much about that stuff for a couple of days. :) I know it must have taken her extra time to get everything ready and checked. You are awesome Megan!

They even made me a dairy and soy free birthday cake! Yahoo! It was chocolate, which I haven't really had in a long time, but still love. :) In fact, it was the cake I used to make almost weekly when I was younger! Go figure! For those who were my Belmont roommates, it was that chocolate cake. It seriously is so good! They sang me the birthday song, I blew out the candles, and then we all ate the delicious cake! We ended the night with some games (of course) and chatting.

This was a fabulous birthday! Thanks to everyone who made it so special :) I love you all!

I got some help from Eve, but she mostly wanted to put the wrapping paper in her mouth.

The goods :)

Trains are so fun! I love the look on Reed's face (he was in the middle of laughing)!

The girls...

Here comes the cake.

I am just looking at all that chocolatey goodness. Yum!

Right before blowing out the candles. (I guess we didn't get an after shot)

4 comments:

shiloh said...

Happy Birthday! P.S. You're looking great- so slim and trim! Must be all that half-marathon training. And I'm sure chasing two kiddos around doesn't hurt either. :)

Chris and Mel said...

happy thirtieth! oops, i mean 28th- close enough right!?!?

Megan said...

We are so glad you guys came. We would love to see you at Thanksgiving! Hope you all can make it! (I promise I won't make anyone move a piano for me this time :) p.s. congrats on the half marathon, I know you've done it before, but I still think it is an amazing accomplishment!

Kami Schultz said...

Oh I remember that chocolate cake. SOOOO very yummy! Happy birthday! :)