June 2012

Friday, September 24, 2010

Half Marathon #2

September 11, 2010 was a fabulous day for me. I completed my second half marathon (another check off my goal list - run a half marathon after each baby)! So, here's the story:

The race was on the C&O canal towpath. Before starting the race, they rang a bell 184 times in honor and memory of those lives that were taken September 11, 2001 at the Pentagon. I found this amazing and very poignant. When they were ringing the bell, I remembered exactly where I was, what I was doing, and how I felt after finding out what had happened. We had a moment of silence after that and the race began.

This race was also a commemoration of Abebe Bikila's first Olympic marathon win on September 10, 1950 (he won 2 Olympic marathons). It was also the Ethiopian New Year's. So, yeah, a big day!

The weather was absolutely gorgeous for running. It was a bit chilly at the beginning, but after a few minutes, I felt perfect! The only thing that was not great was the smell of the canal. It is pretty stagnant water and smells horrible! I didn't expect that at all. On one side of me was the Potomac River flowing and gorgeous. On the other side, stagnant canal water. But, overall everything was great and beautiful.

I wished I would have had a watch or there would have been mile markers because really had no idea how much time had elapsed and where I was at in the race. It was an up and back race, so I knew when I was halfway, but that was about all. Note for the next half marathon: buy a watch! I want to get one of those watches that tells your pace, calories, the works (I think they are called Garmin? I am not well-versed in running watches).

I felt really good during the whole race. I felt like I had lots of energy and probably could have run a little bit faster, but was going at a good pace. Near the end of the race I found my loyal supporters: my dad, Tyson, Reed, and Eve! They actually saw me running this time (last time they missed me by a few minutes each time)! It is the best feeling to have people supporting you in things that are important to you. Thank you!!!! I love you all!

I actually ended up improving my time by more than I thought I would. I finished in 2:08:43, 8 minutes faster than my first half marathon! I am so proud of myself! This just give me more drive to keep running and to try and get faster! Yahoo! Running is great and makes me feel so good!

It wasn't as huge as my last half marathon, but there were still hundreds of runners.

Ready to go!

Almost done....

Speeding up at the end.

I finished! Here is my medal!

My cute family :)

My loyal supporters (Eve was already in the car, but she was there as well.)!

3 comments:

heather said...

You go girl! Seriously, awesome time and I'm proud of you. Reading this post made me want to go out and run, but I know after this baby I can do it again.
So glad you did well.

Andrea said...

Way to go! I'm not a runner, but I admire those women that are. Keep it up.

We are... said...

You look SO great! Congratulations to you! I think I am inspired...