June 2012

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Milk Protein

I will be updating with fun pictures and everything by Thursday, but I need some help with something.

I found out yesterday that little Eve is not able to break down something in my milk (I am solely nursing....so that has to be it). They have put me on a NO MILK diet. That includes whey or any form of milk protein. Yes, no ice cream, no sour cream, no cheese, no yogurt, chocolate....and the list goes on.

At first, I felt completely horrible and guilty for not knowing that something was wrong with my baby. But, she was happy, slept fine, and was still growing nicely. But, I did miss one clue that I did not know about - mucus in the stool. I know, it sounds gross, but for all you moms out there, it is a clue that something is not being digested right. I wish I would've known sooner. But, at least I know now. I still feel bad that I did nothing when my little baby was been in pain, but I did not know she was.

Anyways, I am starting not to feel so guilty and now am just feeling a little sad that I am giving up many things that I love. I am a little stumped on dinners. I realized that I use many dairy products in my family meals - even if it is just a little cheese or sour cream. So, I was hoping that I could get some ideas on dinners without milk protein in them. At this point, I can have everything else (although Eve doesn't like broccoli). Any ideas? I am just going to be changing my diet and know that many people out there have already done it. So, any helpful tips would be welcome!

10 comments:

jessica said...

we do lots of stir fry recipes, but if you really like your cheese recipes you can always get a vegan cheese product.

Shelise said...

I had to cut out milk at first with Cannon and it was hard. I never realized how much dairy I consumed in my diet. Good luck with this. Is this permanent? I realized there were a lot of things that I made that were just as good without the dairy. So I just eliminated it and still felt like I was getting a good meal. You could just try that. Also (I know you asked for dinner ideas) I really came to love vanilla soy milk on cereal or over granola or something for breakfast.

heather said...

No milk?! I wish I had some ideas for you. This is tough. I'll have to think about it and get back to ya.
But I did have a question, there was no mucus in her stools? How does that look? I'm not grossed out at all and just would like to know more about it.

Kara said...

Sorry, I'm of no help in that area, but I do have a friend who cut out all dairy products when she was breastfeeding her child. (i believe she did it for over a year)I'll ask her about it and get back to you.
And you shouldn't feel guilty about it since your baby wasn't even fussing or showing signs of discomfort. How would you know something was wrong?

shauntelle said...

so how did you find out?

shauntelle said...

one other thought was that it might be the extra mucus in non-organic cow milk, mary had a problem with milk until we switched to organic and then she was fine. turns out that normal milk has a muchhhhhhh higher mucus content, same with cheese

Kara said...

my friend just emailed me back. can i get your email and then i can forward her response on to you.

mama donk aubri jo said...

well you are about to get even skinnier than you already are . . . sometimes I wish someone would tell me I am not aloud to eat dairy or sugar since I don't have the will power :] Good luck! I am a cheese and dairy lover so I am not much help, lots more veggies and fruit I guess :)

Janae Walker said...

Oh, I guess I forgot to mention that the reason I took Eve into the doctor was that she had a little trace of blood in her stool (by little....I mean maybe a small dot or two). Then the doctor told me that mucus was a first sign and blood is always a red flag.

Nathan and Holly Lasha said...

I had to do that with Aubrey...soy milk or rice milk are great substitutes. Be careful when she switches to solids...she may have trouble with dairy for awhile.