June 2012

Thursday, September 1, 2011

WWII Memorial with Grandpa Dalling

My Grandpa Dalling fought in WWII. It's not something he talks about much, and I can see why. There are a few things that I know. He was called "Boomerang" because he, unlike many in his troop (or platoon or whatever the appropriate name is) always seemed to come back alive. Thus, he was always sent out first. He was very athletic and was always in dangerous places. He was one of the few soldiers to survive the Battle of Normandy (I can't even imagine seeing that and being somewhat normal after that). He also had 3 of his fingers blown off due to a grenade (I think) and he still has shrapnel inside his body. He has earned many awards including the Purple Heart. Basically, he is a complete hero! Plus, he came back from the war to his wife and child and lived out a fairly normal life. Despite the losses and tragedies he saw, he turned out to be one of the kindest and gentle people I have ever met.

While my grandparents were here for Kristy's wedding, my dad took them to see many of the sights. My grandpa had not been to D.C. since he was there being shipped out overseas during WWII and I'm not sure if my grandma has ever been to D.C. They were both amazed and loved the things they saw. As you can imagine, my grandparents are very patriotic and take the freedoms we have very seriously.

We were able to join up with them on Monday, August 15th to go see the WWII Memorial. This is still my favorite memorial, especially at night, and has a more special meaning after being there with my grandpa. I know that he was just amazed at everything and all the detail that has gone into this memorial.

I walked with him down the ramp and we stopped at some of the engraved pictures that you see walking in. He stopped at the one depicting the Battle of Normandy and just got really quiet. I wonder exactly what he was thinking. As he looked at other pictures, we would explain something about it that applied to him -- simply amazing.

We slowly walked around the whole memorial and he paused at the gold stars. It hit me again how many people we lost during WWII. It was almost the most Americans we have ever lost in a war (besides the Civil War, I believe). It was just a very humbling evening for me. I am so grateful to my grandpa and all the other soldiers that risked and gave their lives for my freedoms. Great night!

Lights just coming on

Grandpa Dalling and my dad

My family with Grandpa Dalling

My grandpa fought on the Atlantic

Even though they don't understand quite what these stars mean yet, Reed and Eve loved them.

Playing with daddy

I love this shot!

Another great view

Pacific

Capturing my grandpa telling stories

1 comment:

Casey and Allie said...

How cool, Janae! What a man of honor.

Casey's grandfather also served in WW2 and was in Normandy and is still alive today! There aren't too many left! What an accomplishment.

Ok…I'm so ready for the birth story now. ;)