June 2012

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Memorial Day ...

The Saturday before Memorial Day, Brandon and Kim and their 7 kids came to DC. We ended swapping to go to temple sessions and then ended the fun day at Clemyjontri Park and even got to ride the Carousel! Reed liked it, but would not smile for the camera.

I know it's a little belated, but I wanted to post pictures of our Memorial Day I was so excited for this holiday because Tyson actually had it off work! He didn't have President's Day off, so it was not very fun for us. So, we decided to check out these waterfalls that we had been told about. They actually ended up being about 10 minutes away from our house in Great Falls National Park. It is a beautiful park with lots of space for picnics and running around, but it also has these beautiful waterfalls! We watched a little movie on the falls and the Potomac and just enjoyed our family time at the park!


Yeah for Family Fun Time!!!!

Reed watching the crazy canoe man down below.....

The Falls

Crazy Canoe Man

What the Canoe Man was canoeing in to!

Reed watching an airplane - his favorite thing to do!

Another view of the falls

Later on in the day we met up with my parents at Arlington National Cemetery. I grew up with a father very big on Patriotism, especially on Memorial Day. I am very grateful for that. So, we visited some of the graves and it just imprinted in my mind, yet again, how many people have sacrificed for the freedoms we enjoy. Thank you!

We also visited the September 11th Memorial by the Pentagon. It was actually really neat. The lady who constructed it was, I believe, the same one who constructed the Vietnam Memorial. Each person that died has their own seat and they are facing different ways to represent if they were on the plane or in the Pentagon. Each seat has the person's name on it and every person born in a certain year is placed in the same 'year' row. It was actually really amazing. I want to see it at night because there are lights coming from each row. Hard to explain and I didn't take any pictures, but I will next time.

Overall, it was a great Memorial Day! I am so grateful for all who have dedicated and still dedicate their lives to our freedom!

The view from the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers

Just for Memorial Day, they set up flags in front of every grave at Arlington Cemetery. It was amazing!

Reed did come with us :) This is proof.

A picture I found online of the 09/11 Memorial

2 comments:

Bloom Family said...

Congrats you guys!!! I'm sorry it sounds like you've been sick. I always told myself when I was sick that it just meant everything was going well in there ... working on making that baby grow big and strong. Well, that's what I told myself anyway :) Congrats again!

ahawkins99 said...

That is a SWEET shirt Tyson has on!!